- GW Home
- Our Location
- Admissions & Aid
- GW Experience
- Faculty & Staff
A Final Word About Security
The university is located in one of the safest areas of the city, but no campus is free of crime, whether it is urban, suburban, or rural. All members of the university community should therefore take reasonable precautions to protect themselves and their property.
The George Washington University Police Department (GWPD) is an accredited law enforcement agency that provides 24-hour police service to the campus community and it enforces federal and local statutes as well as GW regulations.
Community members, students, faculty, staff, and guests are encouraged to report all criminal and public safety related incidents to GWPD in a timely manner. This can be accomplished by calling (202) 994-6110 for non-emergencies or (202) 994-6111 in an emergency. GWPD publishes a brochure titled “Annual Safety and Security Report” and sends a notice of availability of the brochure to all registered students and all employees on an annual basis. There are also other brochures available at GWPD that provide security and safety related information to increase your awareness.
Summary of Programs and Services offered by GWPD:
- Emergency phones located in various areas throughout the campus.
- Escort vans and shuttle buses are available to provide safe escorts for students from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. Students may be escorted to and from campus within the three-block boundaries of the escort service. For an escort or more information call (202) 994-RIDE.
- Crime prevention programs are available to groups upon request. Topics range from general crime prevention practices to sexual assault prevention.
- Community Service Aides are on duty in several buildings on campus to monitor access and provide additional “eyes and ears” for GWPD.
- Sexual Assault Response Consultative Team members are trained and prepared to assist the survivor of sexual assault or rape 24 hours a day.
- Self-Defense classes are available to students and employees. Call (202) 994-6994 for dates and times.
GW is committed to assisting all members of the GW community in providing for their own safety and security. Information regarding campus security and personal safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, university police law enforcement authority, crime reporting policies, fire safety, crime statistics for the most recent three year period, and disciplinary procedures is available online.