What is an Non-Academic Administrative Record?

Non-Academic Administrative Records are actions in which a student has not been charged with a violation of the "Code of Student Conduct," however the student’s behavior requires a response by the university.  

These actions are most frequently warning letters from the Office of Student Rights & Responsibilities or the Office of Civility & Community Standards related to minor misconduct violations associated with the "Code of Student Conduct."  These actions also include if a student has participated in the university’s Alcohol Medical Amnesty Program.

Other examples of an administrative record maintained by the Office of Student Rights & Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, written directions from a university official such as a No Contact Order with another individual, a persona non grata order related to a student’s ability to access a university residential facility, or an administrative move letter within the university’s residential facilities.

Confidentiality of Administrative Records:
The federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) protects a student's educational records - including non-academic administrative records - from unauthorized disclosure to third parties.  A student must sign a waiver to grant access to his or her administrative record before the Office of Student Rights & Responsibilities or the Office of Civility & Community Standards will disclose the information contained in the student's records unless permitted by law.

Inspection of Administrative Records:
Students may request to inspect or view their administrative records in accordance with FERPA and university policy. To do so, a student should make an appointment with an Office of Student Rights & Responsibilities staff member.  Administrative records are not immediately available to students because the records must be redacted, which means information relating to other students, administrative file notes, and any other confidential information must be removed.  Upon request, the Office of Student Rights & Responsibilities will provide students with copies of redacted incident reports, letters, applicable forms, or receipts in the student's file.