Academic Integrity Process Overview
- The instructor of record for the course initiates the academic integrity process by contacting the student or submitting a charge of academic dishonesty form to Student Rights & Responsibilities (SRR). Students and others may contact the instructor of record or SRR to initiate the process.
- The accused student has three options:
- accept the charge and recommended sanction,
- accept the charge and contest the recommended sanction, or
- contest the charge and recommended sanction.
- If the student accepts both the charge and recommended sanction, the student will receive an outcome letter from SRR and the instructor of record will implement the sanction. By accepting, the student waives the right to an Academic Integrity Panel as well as their right to an appeals process outlined in the Code of Academic Integrity.
- If the student contests either the charge or the recommended sanction, a panel is scheduled.
- After receiving notice of a panel, instructors will have five business days to submit any additional documents/witnesses.
- The student will submit additional documents/witnesses no later than 3 business days before the panel.
- An Academic Integrity Panel hears the case and deliberates to determine if the student is Not Responsible or Responsible. If the student is found Responsible, the Panel may also make a sanction recommendation.
- The case and outcome are forwarded to the Dean of the college/school where the reported violation occurred for review of the recommended sanction.
- The instructor of record and student receive notification of the Panel’s decision on the student’s responsibility and the relevant Dean’s decision on the sanction recommendation, if applicable.
- After the outcome notification, the respondent may file an appeal.
Overview of the Academic Integrity Process (PDF)